Community Engagement Officer (Malawi) Volunteer Opportunity with Uniterra!
Position: Community Engagement Officer (Malawi) Volunteer Opportunity with Uniterra!
Closing Date: May 31, 2019
MALAWI , Blantyre
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca.
The Dzuka Africa Organization (DAO) is a youth empowerment organization based in Blantyre. Dzuka Africa was formed by a collective of business owners and social entrepreneurs, who recognized the demand for reliable and sustainable community building enterprises. DAO is aiming to be the leading facilitator in capacity building and socio-economic development programs in Sub-Saharan Africa. This vision will be achieved through coordinating and facilitating partnerships with local communities, value creation for all stakeholders, and the provision of innovative programs designed to enhance corporate social responsibility. The organization provides start-up support to small and medium enterprises and NGOs in townships, peri-urban and informal settlements, and rural areas, including training in program analysis and strategic development. DAO provides efficient and sustainable business services in the communities that they serve, aiming to increase community involvement through social entrepreneurship.
The Community Engagement Officer will provide technical support in mobilizing and engaging communities on social, climate, and environmental impact projects and/or solutions.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
– Collaborate with staff on a community needs assessment, and work with the community to identify programs with social, climate, and/or environmental impacts;
Support training on community mobilization strategies and gender equality to mitigate community challenges;
– Provide guidance on fundraising and management of funds;
Support partnership building activities, including developing partnerships with statutory and voluntary bodies;
– Ensure the participation of women and youth, as well as their representation, in all activities and all program benefits;
– Consolidate the results, document best practices and participate in the implementation of exit strategies; and
– Write reports required by DAO and the Uniterra program.
– Degree and/or training in international development, community development or a related discipline
– Minimum 3 years of experience in community development, particularly in the areas of community mobilization and fundraising
– Experience working with women and youth an added advantage
– Ability to work independently and collaboratively in cross-cultural environment
– Ability to be flexible and adapt to new situations
– Demonstrated coaching or mentorship skills, including tact and professionalism
– Written and oral fluency in English
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
– Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
– Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
– In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
– Language training in-country where required.
– Return flights, visas and work permits.
– Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
– Health insurance.
– Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
– Accommodation while overseas.
– Vacation leave entitlement.
– Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
– An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!