Rural Development Advisor
Position: Rural Development Advisor
Closing Date: January 15, 2019
City Alcalá, Bolivia
Start Date Jan – Mar 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements Spanish
Please submit a Spanish Resume and Statement of Interest
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
Our partner, APAMA is an association made up of 25 women farmers and artisans from the municipality of Alcala, Chuquisaca. APAMA was established on May 13, 2001 and since then the association has been involved in a variety of enriching economic activities. APAMA is an organization consisting of only women, and thus their activities promote the participation of women in business management, ensuring greater economic empowerment and involvement of its members in the socioeconomic and political context of their municipality. Currently, their economic activities are related to obtaining raw material and the production of a variety of herbal medications.
We are now looking for a volunteer like you to support in organizational development and strengthening from an entrepreneurial point of view, analyzing value chains, improving access to markets, designing administrative processes and accountability systems while providing tools for a sustainable business model.
As a volunteer, you will:
-Offer trainings related to organizational strengthening and organizational sustainability, propose activities and actions to the Development plan of the association.
– Support the association in creating and maintaining strategic alliances with other institutions.
– Work directly with the women in the association to support their attendance at strategic meetings and events, as well as, to provide trainings in areas, such as sale methods and basic marketing concepts.
– Implement and follow-up on administrative tools as needed.
– Assist with the association’s compliance of state regulations for artisanal traditional medicine laboratories.
-Support in the marketing and promotional activities of the association
-Carry out market research and analysis of current and prospective products for the association, considering both direct sale opportunities and potential wholes
Essential Academic Qualifications:
– Degree in Business Management, Administration or Economics and/or equivalent experience.
Essential Professional Background:
– Solid experience in business management, preferably small-sized companies.
– Facilitation/Training experience
– Experience living and working in rural areas is considered an asset.
– Experience building and strengthening intercultural relationships and the understanding that these relationships are required to begin and advance in any of the other activities.
– Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
– Accommodation while in placement
– Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
– Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
– Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
– Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
– Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
– Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
– Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
– Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation