On June 16, 2016, OCIC welcomed members, friends, partners and allies from civil society organizations, government, academia, diaspora groups, and other interested communities to join us for our AGM & Symposium 2016, ONTARIANS & THE WORLD: UNIVERSALITY MATTERS.
This one-day event at the Centre for Social Innovation’s newest co-working space sought to ignite the transformative thinking and innovative leadership necessary for Canada and Canadians to contribute to Agenda 2030 and the Global Goals for Sustainable Development. This “global political manifesto” focused on people, planet and prosperity calls for unprecedented levels of commitment and engagement by all parties, local to global. This gathering was one of many across the country and world that invited us to dialogue on how best to do so, in this historic moment.
The day began with our Annual General Meeting, at which we invited all members to meet, ratify and formally welcome new Organizational and Associate Members, elect our 2016-2017 Board of Directors, and join us in recognizing the contributions of members to the Council and sector, this year.
Following our official business, special guests shared ideas and opportunities for collective action by Ontario and Ontarians, within the broader national context, and then all participants were invited to contribute to Roundtable discussions addressing federal government and Council consultation priorities. OCIC will draw on participant input to prepare a formal submission to a national policy and funding review, and to inform our own provincial research and mobilization efforts. This national review presents a significant opportunity for us all to provide input and direction towards Canada’s role in the world, and prospects for global leadership in our own province.
Distinguished Speakers Included:
- The Honourable Elizabeth Dowdeswell, OC, OOnt, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario
- Elissa Golberg, Assistant Deputy Minister, Partnerships for Development Innovation, Global Affairs Canada
- Margaret Biggs, Skelton-Clark Fellow, School of Policy Studies, Queens University
- Helle Bank Jorgensen, President, Global Compact Network Canada
- Dr. Alexandra Conliffe, VP Operations, Engineers Without Borders Canada
- Shannon Kindornay, Adjunct Research Professor, Norman Paterson School of International Affairs, Carleton University
- Annie Demirjian, Director, Glendon School of Public & International Affairs, York University
Click the image above to view photos from the event.
Program and Key Documents
Ontarians & the World Participant Package (PDF) | (Word)
Towards 2030: Building Canada’s Engagement with Global Sustainable Development | Powerpoint Presentation
Canada’s international assistance review consultations videos (ENGLISH) | (FRANÇAIS)
Backgrounder – The Government of Canada and its international assistance policy review
Canada’s international assistance review consultations | Discussion Paper
Ontarians & the World: Universality Matters Consultation Questions (PDF) | (Word)
Cultural Communities for Sustainable Development Consultation Report
Small and Medium-Sized Canadian Civil Society Organizations as Development Actors: A Review of Evidence
Global Affairs Canada Review of International Assistance Consultation topics include:
- the health and rights of women and children
- clean economic growth and climate change
- governance, pluralism, diversity and human rights
- peace and security
- responding to humanitarian crises and the needs of displaced populations
- delivering results by improving effectiveness and transparency, innovation and partnerships
OCIC Consultation topics include:
- diaspora communities in Ontario
- Ontario municipalities, colleges and universities
Key objectives of these Consultation sessions include:
- to solicit inputs from participants that will inform OCIC’s submission to the Global Affairs Canada International Assistance Review
- to solicit inputs from participants that will inform OCIC’s research and potential for deepened engagement with diaspora communities, municipalities, colleges and universities in Ontario
Additional Documents and Reading
Click here for Innovation Ignites! OCIC AGM and Symposium 2017