Reading Program Teacher
Position: Reading Program Teacher
Closing Date: June 1, 2020
The Reading Program is an opportunity for teachers to help build the capacity of Bhutanese students and teachers. During a 4 week classroom placement teachers will help elementary or middle school youth to improve their English reading skills. Volunteer teachers will also mentor Bhutanese teachers, providing them with the chance to discuss teaching pedagogies and facilitate professional development initiatives.
Volunteering in Bhutan
Volunteers will gain exposure to a holistic and sustainable approach to development in Bhutan called Gross National Happiness or GNH. Teacher volunteers will also see firsthand how the ‘Educating for GNH’ initiative is infused in schools through curriculum, cultural practices, and green activities.
• Plan, prepare, and model lessons based on national curriculum to a range of classes (all in English) to support student literacy and learning
• Facilitate opportunities for capacity development for Bhutanese teachers through peer mentorship, sharing of teaching pedagogies, and developing professional development activities
• Use culturally relevant approaches to teaching and be responsive to the local context
• Take a genuine interest in local teacher and student development
• Bachelor of Education or equivalent education in teaching
• Three years of classroom teaching experience
• Fluent English speaker
• Be in good health
• Open minded person
Qualified teachers are currently being recruited for:
• July 30 – August 28, 2020
• September 4 – October 3, 2020
• October 2 – October 31, 2020
Visit https://bhutancanada.org/programs/bhutan-reading-program/ to learn more or apply.