OCIC AGM & Symposium 2020: Ways Forward in Community Engagement: Ethics, Metric and Transformative Change
OCIC held our first fully online AGM & Symposium from October 6 – 7, 2020 as an opportunity to reflect on ethical community engagement and the needs for systemic, sectoral and organizational change. Nearly 100 participants came together online to learn from and contribute to this important and ongoing dialogue.
The AGM included presentations from our Board of Directors and management on the governance and programs past and upcoming, election of new Board members, ratification of new members, and recognition of key volunteers and contributors to the Council in the past year.
Symposium sessions focused on: understanding ways that the pandemic has affected sectoral programs and partnerships and what supports are still needed; changes needed to rebuild and sustain equitable systems and communities in the sector; and critical reflections, approaches and calls to action for ethical community engagement.
- Marianick Tremblay, Director General – Engaging Canadians Bureau, Partnerships for Development Innovation Branch, Global Affairs Canada
- Sara Awad, Advisor, Gender Equality and Women’s Economic Empowerment, Canadian Executive Service Organization (CESO)
- Leslie Chan, Associate Professor, Centre for Critical Development Studies at the University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC)
- Gonzalo Duarte, Executive Director, Compañeros Partners
- Mélissa Dubé, Public Engagement Coordinator, Results Canada
- Laura Gamez, MNCH Program Manager, Horizons of Friendship
- Sarah Hanson, Experiences Canada / OCIC Youth Policy-Makers Hub (2019-2020)
- Juan Jose Arenas Ladino, International Youth Champion, YMCA-GTA
- Arezoo Najibzadeh, Founder, Platform
- Jakub Nemec, Executive Director, Salanga
- Shawna Novak, Executive Director, Canadian International Scientific Exchange Program (CISEPO)
- Ikem Opara, Capacity Building Lead, Ontario Trillium Foundation
- David Peck, Founder and Director, So Change
- Farrah Seucharan, Advocate, OCIC Youth Policy-Makers Hub (2019-2020)
- Tina Sweeney, Outreach & Partnerships Officer, Cuso International
- Kimberly Gibbons, Executive Director – OCIC